Tuesday, July 3, 2007

mini pulitzer


today my assignment was to hang out with the officers of the year. after a four hour stent with a police officer, with the highlight coming at the tail end when he attempted to coral a stray dog, no pun intended, i switched to the sherrif sgt. during debriefing a call comes in for a pi accident. my guy says he'll take the call and we head for his car in no rush what so ever. i thought it rather odd how calmly said officer made his way to the car, made sure everything, cell phone, clipboard, gun, etc. were in their place before starting the car and logging on to the computer. you get the picture. little did i know said officer had intentions of making up time on the drive there. we did 85mph. down a busy road in town and once we hit the four lane road the accident was on it was nothing to pass cars in the turning lane with oncomming traffic a couple feet away doing 105mph. i couldn't believe how many people don't yield either. anyway we finally made it to the scene at which point one sherrif, who wanted to set up a portait with the officers of the year next to a sign in front of the station moments earlier, and who kept telling me what pictures to take, you know that guy, expert on everything, says hey man get a picture of the helicopter, take it now! take it now! at which point i said, "i'll even put it in front of the sun for you," and he follows with "man you'll probably get a mini pulitzer for that or something," i replied "probably not," and went on about my business. i think he sinced my sarcasm because he stopped giving me pointers after that. so my question is, where are the application and guidelines for the mini pulitzer?

2 comments:

Lou said...

It makes me feel good to realize that, for all of my reactions of "can you do that again," I don't think I have ever stooped as low as to TELL you what to shoot. So I'm still OK, right? And I AM getting better at not setting up shots - I'm working on saying instead, "oh, I wish I would have gotten that. . ."
:)

Amy Soper said...

I can't believe you don't know about the mini Pulitzers! The application and guidelines are in super-mini print on the humongo Pulitzer application. I've heard that the award is an ice cream cone - kid's size.

Also, I find it somewhat disturbing that the number of words is nearly equal to the size of the photo. You considering putting the camera down and taking up writing?